Fire & Ice Wolf Packs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wolf Roleplaying Website

HomeHeaderGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

ideas and things!

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Shadowed

Shadowed

Number of posts : 724
Pawprints : 1290
Registration date : 2009-01-10

ideas and things! Empty
PostSubject: Re: ideas and things!   ideas and things! Icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2015 1:28 am

Hmmm yes, indeed it would seem the ability to plot together frequently makes a huge impact, even just little tiny plots. It's something I had never seen before. I like the idea of an entire, general board for plotting/threading, where people can gather to see what's up from every area of the territory. Gives people an idea of who is available for threading, and what little ideas people have for their characters, how they want things to turn out, where it should lead, etc.

I am also now seeing the benefit of the one on one threads, something I hadn't taken into consideration before. Allowing characters to be here and there improves the activity because a player doesn't need to wait on others to keep active - if someone else drops off the face of the earth, or is a little slower in responding, the player does not need to wait on them in order to continue playing their character. While one private interaction is going on, that may continue for some time, other interactions and plots can still carry forward. It DOES allow plots and character development to move along more quickly than I previously believed. It allows them the opportunity to play with both the rapid fire responder as well as the slower, without missing out on either due to conflicting availability. I can still also see the main thread being available as a sort of gathering area for all the wolves in a pack, to maintain some of the togetherness we have here.

I could see our little group adapting to this idea as well. Since we all have conflicting schedules and priorities, the 1-1 threads could allow greater activity and flexibility for those of us who cannot be on all the time, while not sacrificing the activity of those who are very keen. That means us old-timers can hang back a little without worrying we will be totally left in the dust in a big main thread, nor will we hold others back.

Starting to like this idea more and more, even though just mere weeks ago I was adamant that it would be an unpleasant thing to adapt to. I know it's coming along slowly, but I believe in our little group and would love to see us move forward! We can do it! We can keep our home alive and draw others in, we just need the ideas and the creativity to flow!

Let's keep the thoughts and input flowing!
Back to top Go down
http://www.bravequestk9.com
Starrlight

Starrlight

Number of posts : 220
Pawprints : 321
Registration date : 2009-01-14

ideas and things! Empty
PostSubject: Re: ideas and things!   ideas and things! Icon_minitimeMon Mar 02, 2015 8:45 pm

Ahh yes!

You can't see it on the other site, but there is a sub-board under each pack that is Members only.  Members of the pack can use it to plot and such.

It's super handy for keeping connected and plotting.  Really it depends on how into ooc plotting the players are into Smile
Back to top Go down
http://serien.deviantart.com
Shadowed

Shadowed

ideas and things! Empty
PostSubject: Re: ideas and things!   ideas and things! Icon_minitimeMon Mar 02, 2015 12:42 am

Starr, I registered a main account on the other site just in case we decide to start fresh over there.

I've been checking out Alacritis and observing their ways. Although it is one of those rp sites with the liquid time threads and 1on1 all over the place, it does seem to be fairly efficient. I think part of that is helped by their plotting board, which allows people to get in touch with each other and actually plan threads (which looks like it is used daily), rather than just starting a thread and waiting hopelessly for someone to respond. This is something I have not seen/noticed on other sites that seems to help with activity and participation, and keeping things together and organized. So that's an idea.

Anyways, feeling more optimistic about trying something new. =]
Back to top Go down
Starrlight

Starrlight

ideas and things! Empty
PostSubject: Re: ideas and things!   ideas and things! Icon_minitimeSat Feb 28, 2015 9:28 am

That does make sense ^^ I guess time fluidity is something I've never really thought about being an issue.  Since threads move so slowly, I always assume two different threads happen two different times and don't think much beyond that XD. I've never thought of roleplay as real time.

That being said, my email is Megan.starr9@gmail.com
The new site is an option, and if you want admin access to it to look around, let me know <3.  If you end up cleaning this forum up as well, that's fine too!
Back to top Go down
Silent
Admin
Admin
Silent

Number of posts : 1199
Pawprints : 1938
Registration date : 2009-01-11

ideas and things! Empty
PostSubject: Re: ideas and things!   ideas and things! Icon_minitimeMon Feb 16, 2015 9:27 pm

You know I love the idea Starr but I would also like to say that sites and forums like that have always seemed a little hectic for me as well, it is what one of the main draws of msn groups was to me in the first place, felt more together like shadowed said. I see where you are getting at though where you could feel a little lost in a big thread but maybe we could alter the rules here and allow side threads on the pack boards, just never really liked the clutter of that (though if this site was equipped with an archiving function than it wouldn't be so bad) I also dont like the concept of characters being in different places at different times, though perhaps for the purpose of a 1v1 interaction in a side thread we could allow it for more personalization and expansion of a characters story and maybe extend it to the lone lands as well or something...

With silvers announcement (In talk it up) I think i have some things i need to really try to keep this site going..*sigh*
Back to top Go down
Shadowed

Shadowed

ideas and things! Empty
PostSubject: Re: ideas and things!   ideas and things! Icon_minitimeThu Feb 12, 2015 1:57 am

Yea I'd be up for trying a mix of things. See where it takes us, if others are also willing to try. I personally love main threads with everything happening and having lots to read, since I am huge on reading and it's like reading a story that never ends!! Lol XD I've even read entire pack threads that I have never had a character in lol

So yea, would totally be nice to have something going that we could all appreciate.

What's everyone else think???
Back to top Go down
Starrlight

Starrlight

ideas and things! Empty
PostSubject: Re: ideas and things!   ideas and things! Icon_minitimeThu Feb 12, 2015 12:29 am

UIt's good to hear thoughts on that!  That seriously surprises me, but does make sense.

I guess I feel the complete opposite, but then, my activity was always spotty.  I got left behind so often in the single thread that I found it really hard to follow, and really hard to jump into when wanting to join back up.  Limiting everyone to a single interaction/thread seems like it would hold plots up intuitively, though it has been a while so I may not remember correctly!!

A mix would be a nice compromise.  This would allow characters to control their own timelines and events but still keep the cohesive pack feeling.  The site I am on does this with mandatory pack meetings that happen as often as the pack alpha wishes.  Instead we could have a sort of rendezvous thread that was constantly ongoing while side-threads happened around it?

I know personally I much prefer smaller, more intimate threads as I find the large ones way too hard to interact in anymore.  But I would love to hear other preferences, because like I said, it has been a while since I've been around on here ;.; and I wanna do what you want to do, not what I want to do!
Back to top Go down
Shadowed

Shadowed

ideas and things! Empty
PostSubject: Re: ideas and things!   ideas and things! Icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2015 11:22 pm

I meant to respond here earlier. My opinion on the archiving and 1/1 threads... I have tried joining sites several times that do it that way, and it honestly drives me mental. I just cannot get used to it. It just feels like there is no togetherness, like the pack is not a pack at all. Most characters seem not to have met each other, and there just seems to be a lot of disconnect. I have never actually seen a plot move forward in those kinds of sites. I also find liquid time and having characters in multiple places at once is confusing and frustrating to keep up with. Again, seems disconnected. Maybe the sites I was on were just not that great, I don't know, but my experiences were not pleasant.

I have been grateful that we never did that here. I really love having a main thread where the characters can gather, and there is more going on.

Then again, it has been really slow here for all of us, and it seems to be difficult to draw in anyone new. Maybe we should experiment with new things... honestly I'd be really scared to do more of the 1/1 threads, but maybe it's something worth exploring. Maybe we can somehow have a combination of main thread and separate threads. I dunno. But we need to do something, that much is clear!
Back to top Go down
Starrlight

Starrlight

ideas and things! Empty
PostSubject: Re: ideas and things!   ideas and things! Icon_minitimeFri Jan 23, 2015 11:50 am

EDIT: Take a look? Smile
http://megstarr.com/fniwp/index.php

I'm gonna get a complete site mockup done this weekend (I hope!). All pack info, all rules, all everything transferred and ready to go.  I think that will help visualize how it all works.  The absolute best thing about having one so customizable is you can do pretty much anything you like with it Smile

I definitely do see your point on the graveyards.  Actually, though, on the one I built you can create an account for each character/switch between.  Then on the character's post, right by the avatar, the pack is clearly listed Smile

Again, no obligation! I know that you guys love the way things are here and I'm not tryin to say it's not a good way.  Just throwing an alternative!  

(I know when boards don't have a single thread though it is so much easier not to get left in the dust.  I used to get so lost XD though I am also sketchy as hell on activity)

In other news, I'm reading old posts....... WHOSE CRYING? I'M NOT CRYING
*bawls shamelessly*
Back to top Go down
__silvers__

__silvers__

Number of posts : 1144
Pawprints : 1971
Registration date : 2009-01-25

ideas and things! Empty
PostSubject: Re: ideas and things!   ideas and things! Icon_minitimeFri Jan 23, 2015 10:01 am

Oooh, yay! Starr <3

I've done some house cleaning here and there with locking threads, so that no one can post in them anymore. It would be convenient if we had a graveyard around here, but the reason I keep them up on the main boards is mostly for reference. If a new member or myself want to read the history of a particular pack, they may want to comb through the old posts (I've actually done this for the sake of accuracy within my posts), but that just might be me.

Also: I've noticed that we're one of the few sites that features a main thread with all characters interacting. Many other sites have their pack as an entire board, with either different conversations or locations. While it's great for a 1/1 basis, I also find it troubling, because then I'm not sure who belongs in the pack and who doesn't (unless there's some kind of inclusive page talking about the members). Again, just my opinion, and what I'm used to here on FNI. I think, though, if that site operates like that, is why they have such a high turnover for their threads.

However, it's something I'm willing to try. Because I'm a scientist, and I love to test.

At one point, I know we had activity requirements... Up and poof for 3 weeks? Deuces! I honestly have to look again, though. Silent, help me out...?

Here, players can make "clans" instead of packs, if I remember correctly. They don't have the full power of a pack, but it's still a chance for a player to have their character in charge and roam an area.

I will likely create a character and head over there to play-test it. It might be a little while, but I will give it a shot. I do miss our MSN days in which we were just teeming with life. I also have to accept, though, that I don't have that much free time anymore, but rp'ing has always been a creative outlet for me that I'm not ready to give up.
Back to top Go down
Starrlight

Starrlight

ideas and things! Empty
PostSubject: Re: ideas and things!   ideas and things! Icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2015 5:27 pm

Mmmk so deets!  It isn't quite ready but I wanna see what you think anyway.

I've actually gotten back into rp in a kinda big way on another community.  It happened that my friend and I wanted to try it out again, and we found a super active location.  And I got hooked again XD.  I would love to bring some of that life here, it is just so well managed.

A couple of things they do differently though-
They archive threads.  Instead of having one big thread that has 50 thousand things going on in it, people can start threads with one another (like in the LW forums).  They get to 10/20 posts or however long the characters want, and then it finishes.  Gets archived.  This seems to keep plots moving and really let characters interact on a more 1/1 level.  I think we have this setup now maybe? But it doesn't seem used.  

They go relatively real-time and have activity requirements.  Basically if a character doesn't post in 2 weeks, it's assumed they disappeared.  They are free to rejoin, but it allows other characters to move on.i actually like our more comfortable, slow pace that we have here but I think the activity requirements would be a reasonable thing if we made it, well, reasonable.

Users can create packs and pack sizes are limited.  I dunno if this is something you want to incorporate but it is an interesting concept.

The site is wolf-rpg.com.  I dunno if you want to integrate any of these, but if you do, basically what I am offering is to build you a forum that would allow all this easily. Alphas would manage their own boards/members and there could be different roles.  

If you are interested! I would just need a domain name.  The board I would use is mybb, which has a full-control admin panel.  I will try to get a test-env up to let you play around with this weekend if you want <3

I miss you guys and would love to come back with a character if we can breathe some life back into things
Back to top Go down
Silent
Admin
Admin
Silent

ideas and things! Empty
PostSubject: Re: ideas and things!   ideas and things! Icon_minitimeFri Jan 02, 2015 8:00 pm

Ok Ok ok, i took long enough to respond to this. Oi, having a no real sit down computer is a pain. Yes I agree mostly with what everyone is saying, we would have to decided what packs would need help and just to avoid any bla bla bla confusion if we manage to get someone in here we can always pretend like they've had a history with the pack so the transition is not as awkward. If we are to go advertising with such a thing I would at least like brief application form for the packs, though nothing too crazy, it's really obnoxious when people ask for 6 paragraphs. 

Also we were all new and young too so I don't mind if the people are not lyrical geniuses just had to be decent and thorough, and of course active.

So the biggest concerns would be Tirisfal, Pearl & Hamara. Though i think if we just gather more attention and people Hamra would do fine just for the dog element being different from the wolf one. It would be nice for me not to have to control The pearl, and Jack can step down gracefully. 

I will say that just because I love this site so much and have such a history with all the packs i feel adverse to cutting any of the packs but...i can get over my sentiment if we think it is really necessary.
Back to top Go down
Shadowed

Shadowed

ideas and things! Empty
PostSubject: Re: ideas and things!   ideas and things! Icon_minitimeFri Dec 12, 2014 1:16 am

As far as getting new people, obviously we will need something nice to advertise on other busy sites. A nice picture to represent the site, and some sort of superawesome description to intrigue people, and let them know what's going on. Once we figure out what's going on XD
Back to top Go down
Shadowed

Shadowed

ideas and things! Empty
PostSubject: Re: ideas and things!   ideas and things! Icon_minitimeFri Dec 05, 2014 3:23 am

The idea of an earthquake is certainly viable. Hmmmmm  hmm!!! Totally an idea if we were to drastically change things up!

Starr I look forward to seeing what presents you have planned to offer. You've always been good at graphics and whatnot!!!

Anyways, I don't have any cool ideas, hoping you all have something to offer to this situation!!
Back to top Go down
Starrlight

Starrlight

ideas and things! Empty
PostSubject: Re: ideas and things!   ideas and things! Icon_minitimeThu Dec 04, 2014 5:18 pm

I might be working on a present for you guys, that you will be free to use or no.  I'll post deets soon (ie when it's ready)
Back to top Go down
__silvers__

__silvers__

ideas and things! Empty
PostSubject: Re: ideas and things!   ideas and things! Icon_minitimeWed Dec 03, 2014 1:32 pm

Also: I know we discussed before about maybe shuffling the packs around or eliminating some... If we wanted to redo the entire landscape, it could be possible through an EARRRRRRRTHHHHHQQQQUUUUUAAAAAKKKKKKEEEEE!!!!

I like drama. But I'm good with whatever we decide.
Back to top Go down
Silent
Admin
Admin
Silent

ideas and things! Empty
PostSubject: Re: ideas and things!   ideas and things! Icon_minitimeTue Dec 02, 2014 1:19 pm

Ill be responding to this soon, been mustering my thoughts :3
Back to top Go down
__silvers__

__silvers__

ideas and things! Empty
PostSubject: ideas and things!   ideas and things! Icon_minitimeFri Nov 21, 2014 12:11 am

Hey ya'll!

Shadowed and I have been having a discussion that we thought should make public. Let's hear your thoughts! (Read top-down)

Shadowed: Hi silvers. I've been thinking about activity on the site for a while, and this was a message I sent to Silent a few months ago. We talked a little but didn't really come up with anything. Let me know what you think, and if you have any ideas since I'm not much creative for things like this (I'm going to message same to Akka, Fossy and Warrior as well, maybe we can start a thread on this as well?):

Hi Silent. I was thinking and wondering how to help get this place a little more active lately... and I had an idea, don't know how it will feel... but! Here goes. What if we reel in new people and delegate some pack leadership to others? Some of the packs seem to just be floating around a little bit, and some people are maintaining more than one pack, which maybe is a little too much in terms of staying active and helping plots flourish. Muerta seems to be the only pack that has really solid leadership and consistency. The other packs have consistent members, but things seem to be moving slowly. Perhaps it would work better if each pack its own dedicated leader to keep things moving.

We all seem to be getting a little older and busier with life, and maybe it would be nice to draw in some younger players who will be more active. As long as we don't end up getting pushed aside XD. But who knows, it might be a little exciting to have some fresh new characters and plots and ideas.

What do you think??? Feels like a little bit of a scary idea... but the more I think about it, the more exciting it would seem - auditions for pack leaders, new plots and characters, activity that's hard to keep up with...

Haha I'm daydreaming a bit Get back to me!

Silvers I'm totally down with this. The problem I thought we kept running into was delegating a pack lead position, only to have the member be unreliable. But I would love to see some things mixed up, and maybe it would welcome in some fresh blood :p

ShadowedI know, that part about delegating leadership to other and then they end up ditching... that is scary and annoying. But you know people always come flooding when they find out there's a pack lead position XD who knows, just might add some amusement, even if some of it becomes short-lived, could also turn out for the better. But how to get started? XD

SilversTrue. I think one thing we could do to emphasize stability (both for the newer member and their character), is to have one of our characters be a supporting Beta within the pack. For example, Zelda in Midnight will always support the new leader, and has the ability to take over if something goes wrong/the leader disappears.

Another question would be what packs should we "put up for sale"? I wouldn't mind donating Hamara for a good cause. That pack cycles through leaders faster than any other one.

To get the word out, we could definitely send out messages on our sister sites and Top 50's that we're searching for new management, on top of more members.

What has Silent and everyone else said about this?

ShadowedTotally agree with the supporting roles to any newcomers. Makes sense, and of course keeps us originals in important roles. XD

Well, I think Tirisfal could probably use a new leader (That pack still feels like my baby even though I gave it up so long ago and can't be reliable enough to take it on Sad ). I think Warrior is supposed to be the leader eventually with Elysia. But I don't really know what's going on there XD

Oh yea you have Hamara and Jabbar don't you? We'd really have to find the right excuse to give Hamara to someone else if you were willing to hand it over. Hmmm. Always scary and sad handing over a pack to someone else, specially if you don't know them.

What about the Black Pearl? I don't really know what's going on there since I haven't had a charrie there in ages. All I know is it's really slow. Mdinight is covered by Akka right?

Yea, I guess going on sister sites is the best option, hopefully we can draw someone in.

Anywho, no one else has said anything yet to me. You've been the only one to reply XD

SilversAnd yes... I believe Warrior has Elysia with Tirisfal, Akka with Balthier in Midnight, I've got Echo in Jabbar and Blue in Hamara, Silent with Akira in Muerta (like that's ever going to change, haha), and... I think Fossy has Calypso and Silent has Jack in the Pearl? It's been a while since that pack has been active, at all... They could use a new leader as well.

With Hamara, I was really hoping to have this awesome plot carry on through, but it didn't quite work out... So... I guess there would have to be a decent excuse for everyone to move. I also wouldn't want to uproot everyone's characters - we did that with the typhoon - or some such. Maybe a band of wolves will come back and either fight for the territory and/or allow them to share it? I guess, then, there would be a challenge for the new member's character, moreso than, "Here's a pack, have fun". Ya dig?

Hmm... Do you think it would be better if we made this conversation public/posted it on a board? That way if anyone has anything to say, they can just hop in? I wouldn't want to step on anyone's toes.

ShadowedYea, we probably should make a thread on it so everyone can join in. Don't want anyone to feel like decisions are being made on their behalf, that would not be nice. I'll ask Silent if she wants to make that thread, or if you can/want to, feel free. I would but I wouldn't feel right asserting such a notion to those in charge. Since I haven't heard from anyone else, for some reason I feel like it still may be sensitive for others. I don't know, probably thinking a little too much XD

And that brings us to the present! :D
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

ideas and things! Empty
PostSubject: Re: ideas and things!   ideas and things! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

ideas and things!
Page 1 of 1